Chana daal curry with Dill or SenagapappuDill
Yes, a curry (subzi) with daal. Well, I treat this as a curry because the daal is soaked and added to the dish just as any other vegetable would be added. It is also cooked just right, not too soft like usually daals are cooked. I know all the good properties of dill, but make it less often than I would like to as I am the only one who enjoys the strong flavour of this herb in our home. I tried this version with more lentils and less dill herb, which worked out little better as I could persuade kids to try a little. But as usual I liked it a lot. As this herb has strong, sweet and very distinct smell, many have strong feelings about liking it or not. Hope some of you will give it a try and share your thoughts on this dish…
Wash and soak chana daal in water. Minimum 2 hours soaking is required, can be soaked upto 5 hours.
Wash dill sprigs and chop them.
Heat a pan with 2 tbsps of oil, add seasoning with mustard, jeera, red chillies and curry leaves.
Add onion and fry until translucent, takes about 4 to 5 minutes.
Add dill leaves and stir. Add soaked chana dal. Add salt, turmeric and let it cook for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle some water, if you feel like daal still needs to be cooked. Place the lid on and cook until water is evaporated and daal is cooked.
Add chilli powder and let it cook another 2 minutes. Bengal gram daal with dill is ready!
Bengal gram daal (chana daal or senagapappu) – 1 cup
Dill leaves – about ½ cup
Onions – 2 medium
Red chillies -1
Urad dal (split black gram dal) – 1 tsp
Rai (avalu, mustard seeds) – 1 tsp
Jeera (jeelakarra, cumin) – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Wash and soak chana daal in water (2 to 5 hours).
- Wash and chop dill. Cut onion into pieces.
- Heat a pan with 1-2 tbsp. of oil. Once oil is heated add seasoning items. Once seasoning turns brown, add cut onions.
- Fry onions for about 4 to 5 minutes. When onions look cooked add dill, soaked daal, and stir.
- Add turmeric, salt and stir. Let this cook for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle some water if necessary and cook until daal is slightly soft.
- Add chilli powder, stir and cook for about 2 more minutes and switch off the stove.
- Enjoy with hot rice or roti!