Hello Friends! Recently, I wanted to take a dessert for a get-together but did not plan anything ahead. So I was going through my pantry, looking at the ingredients and thinking what kind of dessert I could make from them. Finally decided to make moongdal paayasam or pesara pappu paayasam which I ate first at my neighbours place. My mom makes similar kind of dish but it is called ‘ pappu lo undralu’ and usually made for GaneshChaturthi. This variety is without any rice balls in the paayasam and more milk is used.
It can be made with sugar or jaggery. Both the varieties are equally good. Reduce the milk or increase it according to your preference and add any nuts if you fancy.
Heat a pot and add two tsps. of ghee. Add raisins, fry them for a minute or so and add roasted sunflower seeds (I don’t add any nuts for allergic reasons; you may add any nuts you prefer here). Fry them for few seconds and take them aside.
Take a cup of moong dal, and add to the same pot. Fry until they turn light brown and the raw smell is gone.
Add 2 to 3 cups of water and cook the dal until soft. If required add more water and cook the dal.
Once dal is softly cooked, add 3 cups of milk and get it to boil stirring once in a while. Once it comes to boil, reduce the heat and continue boiling for 5 more minutes.
Add 1 cup of sugar and ¼ cup of condensed milk. Cook for few more minutes while continuously stirring.
Finally, add the fried raisins and sunflower seeds (nuts if you prefer).
Add crushed or powdered cardamom (elachi). Moong dal payasam or kheer is ready!
Moong dal – 1 cup
Milk – 3 cups
Sugar – 1 cup
Condensed milk – ¼ cup
Raisins – few
Sunflower seeds (or nuts) – 1 tbsp.
Cardamom – about 5
- Add few spoons of ghee to a pot and fry raisins, sunflower seeds. Keep them aside.
- Take moong dal, add to the same pot and roast until it turns light brown.
- Add 2 to 3 cups of water and cook the dal until soft.
- Now add 3 cups of milk and let it come to boil. Reduce the heat and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and condensed milk, cook another 5 minutes while continually stirring.
- Finally add crushed cardamom (elachi) and fried raisins, sunflower seeds.
- Moong dal paayasam or moong dal kheer is ready!