Today I am showing you one way of preparing cauliflower dish with tomatoes. This vegetable can be made in many ways (the most famous being Aloo Gobi). It takes the taste of the vegetables added to it; most of the vegetables like capsicum, peas, spinach can be added. Adding vegetable dill also makes a unique combination with cauliflower. This variety goes very well with rice, chapatis, and in our home it is a favourite stuffing in a wrap for school lunches.
One cauliflower, washed and cut into florets.
One onion and tomato, cut into pieces.
Add seasoning with one red chilli, chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, jeera and curry leaves.
Once seasoning is fried, add cut onion pieces. Fry onions for about 3-5 minutes.
Add Cauliflower and stir.
Add turmeric and salt. Adding salt in the initial stage of cooking gives the required moisture which helps the vegetable to cook (we can reduce the oil because of this step). Stir. Cook for 5 minutes with lid on.
Add tomatoes and stir. Let this cook another 8 minutes. At this stage keep watching the moisture content. If the bottom of the pot is getting burnt slightly, it means the cauliflower should be cooked with lid on and on low heat. If you see lot of moisture, cook on medium heat without the lid.
Add chillipowder; stir and cook another 1-2 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 22- 25 minutes
Cauliflower – 1 medium
Onions – 1
Tomato – 1
Red chillies -1
Chana dal (Bengal gram dal) – 2 tsp
Urad dal (split black gram dal) – 1 tsp
Rai (avalu, mustard seeds) – 1 tsp
Jeera (jeelakarra, cumin) – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Coriander leaves – few (optional)
- Wash and cut cauliflower into florets.
- Wash tomato and cut into pieces. Cut onion into pieces.
- Heat a pan with 1-2 tbsp. of oil. Once oil is heated add seasoning items except coriander leaves. Once seasoning turns brown, add cut onions.
- Fry onions for about 3 to 5 minutes. When onions looks cooked add cauliflower and stir.
- Add turmeric, salt and stir. Let this cook for another 8 minutes.
- Add chilli powder, stir and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes more and switch off the stove.
Serve with hot rice or rotis. Works very well in chapati wraps.