Hey folks! I am here with Coconut Laddu (Kobbari unda, Kobbari lauzu), a simple recipe with very simple and few ingredients. All it takes is 4 ingredients. In our home it is usually made after festival or Pooja day because of all the coconuts we offer to God. Well, we have to make use of them, and this is one way. Another way of using all the coconuts is, of course coconut chutney. I am sure this is how it is in most of the homes. So, try this…
Two cups of grated coconut
1 cup of light brown sugar
4 tbsp. of ghee (clarified butter)
3-5 pods of elachi
A few pieces of jaggery to enhance the taste
Heat a pot on the stove, add sugar and jaggery. Add little bit of water (about ¼ cup). Let this melt and boil. Let the syrup come to 1 ½ string consistency. We can check by taking a drop of syrup between the two fingers and taking the fingers slowly away from each other (about 1 inch apart). We should see one string clearly and another about half the length between the two fingers. This takes about 5 minutes.
Add grated coconut and mix.Add ghee and crushed elachi.
Let this cook for about 15 minutes.
Transfer this into a plate.
Make laddus out of this mixture once it is cool enough to handle.
- Syrup takes longer to form if more water was added.
- If we let the mixture cook longer (after the coconut and ghee are added) more chewy texture is formed; kobbari unda (coconut laddu) might be little harder the following day.
- I used a blender to grind/grate my coconut, which makes it easy and reduces preparation time.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Makes 25 laddus approximately
Coconut – 2 cups
Sugar – 1 cup
Jaggery – few pieces (optional)
Ghee (clarified butter) – 4 tbsp.
Cardamoms (Elachi) – 3-5
- Cut pieces from the coconut and grind it in a blender. It should not be too coarse. Alternatively, grate the coconut with any grating tool you have.
- Heat a pot on the stove, add sugar, jaggery and little bit of water. Let this melt and boil it for about 5 minutes or until 1 ½ thread consistency syrup is formed.
- Add grated coconut, ghee, elachi and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer it into a plate, once cool enough make laddus.