I have come up with a version of a good banana bread recipe. I tried banana bread many times, avoiding nuts for my daughter, then avoiding eggs and nuts so that both my son and daughter could eat. Mine always turned to be too moist (not that we mind because the taste was always good). As my son outgrew milk allergies, and he practically lives on yogurt, I have decided to try a recipe with yogurt but still want to use oil as I was using before.
Usually when I want to make banana bread, the bananas are not ripe enough. Whenever the day came that the bananas were ripe, I would be quite busy. So when the bananas get very ripe, I peel the skin, make each banana into 4 pieces and freeze them in a freezer bag or a plastic container. Most of the time I use frozen bananas, they puree very well and it works perfectly. Using ripe bananas is really important; that is what gives the taste and flavour to the bread.
The procedure goes like this…
Keep your Ingredients handy.
Preheat the oven to 350F.
1 ½ cups flour, ¾ cup light brown sugar, ¾ cup yogurt/curd
¼ cup canola oil, you can use olive oil too.
I pureed frozen bananas in a blender; 1 ½ cups of pureed bananas.
Take a bowl and place curd, oil and sugar in it.
Mix well for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Add baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla essence. Mix well.
Add flour, banana puree to this, and mix well.Don’t over mix it.
Take 8×8 pyrex glass container, and grease it with oil.
Pour the bread mixture into it.
Put it into an preheated oven.
After 20 minutes…
Around 47 minutes..
Enjoy ! Can be served with a scoop of ice cream or whipping cream.
All-purpose flour – 1 ½ cups
Light brown sugar – ¾ to 1 cup
Bananas – 1 ½ cups pureed (3 bananas)
Yogurt – ¾ cup
Oil – ¼ cup
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Any nuts can be added, I completely avoid them because of kids allergies.
- In a mixing bowl , add yogurt,oil,sugar and mix well for a about 2 minutes.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add flour, pureed bananas and mix. Everything should be mixed well, but don’t overmix.
- Grease a glass dish( 8 x 8 size), pour the bread mixture and place it into a 350F preheated oven.
- Bake for about 50 minutes (Toothpick inserted into the middle of the pan should come out clean). Keep checking after 40 minutes as baking times varies a lot.
- Once cool enough, cut into slices.